The aforementioned video is from the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration and is entitled, "Bicycle Safety Tips for Adults." The video gives an overview of the basic principles of bicycling safety for adults who are new to or returning to cycling. The video discusses the hows and whys of four main principles: (1) choosing the right bicycle (type and fit); (2) using safety equipment, including bicycle helmets (why and how to fit and wear it properly), lights and reflectors, and proper clothing to enhance; (3) checking your bicycle equipment before each ride (ABC Quick Check); and (4) following the rules of the road.
In summary, the video suggests the following tips:
- Make sure that you have selected a bicycle that properly fits you. See a bike specialist to insure that you have selected the proper design and height for your needs;
- Purchase and use a properly fitted bicycle helmet;
- Install and use lights and reflectors;
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated;
- Inspect and properly adjust your brakes;
- Inspect and properly adjust your chain and cassette to insured that they are not loose;
- Make sure that there are no loose parts on your bike. Where you are unable to make the proper adjustments, consult a bike repair shop to assist you.
There are a number of safety tips discussed in the video regarding the safe operation of a bicyle including the following:
- Make sure that you ride in the same direction as traffic instead of riding against traffic;
- Obey all traffic signs and signals;
- Ride defensively;
- Know the rules of the road applicable in your area regarding the operation of a bicycle;
- Avoid road hazards; and
- Wear bright color clothing while operating a bicycle.
For additional information contact:
Alan L. Morton
MORTON LAW OFFICES, CHARTERED
1005 North Eighth Street
Post Office Box 420
Boise, ID 83701-0420
Toll Free: 866.946.1669 (866.WIN.1.NOW)